Saturday, June 25, 2011

Wedding Weekend!

Ever since we were little, Kirsten and I dreamed of being in each other's wedding. I don't know that I ever really pictured what that day would be like, however. And then, before I knew it I was standing up in the front of CCC as my best friend walked down the isle to meet the Prince Charming we used to dream about. To describe it in a word, I would say something along the lines of...surreal? I am incredibly happy for Kirsten and John, but I'll admit it was pretty strange! Beautiful, fun, joyous...but surreal.


I don't know that I ever realized how much work it takes to put a wedding together before this past weekend. I've often heard "it takes a village" and in this case a church. It was amazing to see so many people come together to make Kirsten and John's wedding a beautiful event. Work started early on in the week to transform an otherwise ordinary gym into a gorgeous reception hall. I joined the festivities Wednesday afternoon, and the ladies worked hard all the way up until the wedding (there may have been a pedicure break somewhere during that time too :) ).

Beginning stages of decorating. Yards and yards of tulle and Christmas lights, candles, lanterns, flowers, pinecones, trees, ribbon, tables and so much more transformed the gym into a "fairy-land" as it happened to be called at one moment that weekend. :) It was truly beautiful.
Berries that were supposed to go into ice cube trays, but inadvertently landed on the ground...
Getting there! (above) Jess hung pinecone garlands on all of the lattices. (below) Christmas lights being wrapped in tulle and hung all throughout the gym.

Thursday night (after more decorating and errand running) was our Ladies' Night! We started off the evening at Tsukasa of Tokyo in Vernon Hills. Despite our somewhat unenthusiastic responses, we really did enjoy the tricks our chef performed while cooking the food. The cracking the egg bit was my personal favorite.

Getting ready!
Our personal chef. Though somewhat cheesy, it was fun watching him flip bowls of rice without spilling, flip broccoli at us to try and catch it in our mouths, and light stacks of onions on fire to look like a volcano.

Best friends forever life!

After dinner we headed back to Anna's house to shower our friend with some special gifts. :) 

I had a great time talking and laughing with these ladies, as well as spend some time with the bride before she would become Kirsten Langley! (Still seems a little strange to say that!) Friday we spent most of the day decorating and then Friday night was the rehearsal and a cook-out dinner at the Langley's. And then it was wedding day!

All the girls got ready at the Richards' house Saturday morning. There was hairspray and curling irons and bobby pins everywhere! (Thanks again Melissa, Hannah, and Morgan for doing everyone's hair!) Kirsten looked like a princess all morning as she got her hair done, and as Karen did her nails (a few times!). We were all excited, but Kirsten was especially radiant as she got ready to walk down the isle. A few hours, pancakes, and cans of hairspray later and we were ready to head to the church.
Lots of hair to curl and pin up! The girls did a great job getting everyone looking beautiful.
Look at her getting all done up!
Hah! Classic. :)
Love these girls.  Jess was having some problems with straps and her bracelet, but like true bridesmaids and friends we got her all straightened out. 

We headed up to the church around three for final touch ups and pictures. Kirsten was absolutely stunning in her dress!
Reading a letter from her beloved.
Getting some help from the soon-to-be-bride Anna! 
The beautiful Jess and I before the ceremony started. So glad I got to spend some time with her and catch up a bit! (We for sure need to do that more!)

The wedding ceremony went off without a hitch. Pastor Ken officiated, and we all had an awesome time of worship as we watched these two join their lives together. Kirsten and John stood before all of their friends and family and promised to love and support each other till they are parted by death. 
I am so glad I was able to be a part of this special day, and celebrate with my best friend. John is the prince we always used to dream about, and I know he will always be there to care for Kirsten. I look forward to continuing my friendship with Kirsten now with the addition of John. I'm also excited to see how God will use these two on their new journey. Like we promised each other so long ago, I was there as Kirsten's maid-of-honor, and I know someday she will be there for me!

Congratulations and God Bless! Love you both dearly.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, thanks Rachel! Looking at pictures, it's amazing to realize how much actually happened.

    Having been through all of this now, I may or may not have a few ideas for your festivities one day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I'd be glad to hear them...someday!

    ReplyDelete