27) The climb to the Parque Ecologico is long and hard. But so, so worth it.
28) The lake you can see from the Parque is not, in fact, Lake Atitlan, but rather Lake Amatitlan.
29) People walk up and down the mountain every day carrying logs on their head.
30) Language school is kind of intimidating. But in a good way.
31) Pilas are for washing clothes by day, and making out by night. (At least this is the case with the big pila we have to pass any time we want to go somewhere.)
32) You can also wash children in the pila.
33) A good cup of coffee is totally worth the long walk to find it.
34) Lavandarias are kind of expensive. But clean clothes are really nice.
35) The awesome car at our house is a '57 Pontiac.
36) We have a maid. Also a cook.
37) Soccer se mueve el mundo.
38) Guatemalans love the European soccer leagues. You can't go anywhere without seeing a Barcelona or a Real Madrid jersey. Our host dad loves both, but Real Madrid most.
39) Lunch (at least at our house) is the biggest meal of the day typically.
40) Cafe Barista makes a great latte.
41) I still love Fun Dips.
42) Our house kind of reminds me of the hotel in The Shining. I have to try to not think about this when I go to the bathroom at night so as to not scare myself.
43) God is so much bigger than the box I put him in.
44) Running in the afternoon: not smart.
45) "Coffee should be black as night, strong as passion, sweet as love, and hot as hell." (I think this needs to hang in my house someday.)
46) Dark chocolate with orange is perhaps one of the best things ever.
47) Latin American soccer fans do it right!
48) If you want to learn to swear in another language, go to a soccer game in a country that speaks that language.
49) Wear sunscreen to soccer games.
50) The market is amazing and overstimulating, all at the same time.
51) Bartering is mildly frightening. But expected. And necessary to get a decent price.
52) I don't love sushi. But I don't hate it either.
53) Fresh fruit is perhaps the best thing ever. Especially when you bought it at a market directly from the hands that grew it.
54) The unidentified purple fruit we bought at the market kind of looks like an alien from War of the Worlds inside. Can't say I'll get that one again.
55) Soccer really is the world's sport.
56) Wearing a skirt like the native women wear is harder than it looks! (I bought one at the market!)
57) I could probably spend a lot of money at the artisan's market...
58) I love finding new coffee shops. Especially ones that play Gungor and make fun shapes in my coffee.
59) The maid does not come every day. Especially on the weekends. But also not today.
60) I do not love history classes. But my teacher at the language school thinks I do...
Lake Amatitlan
The pila near our house
I think this would be a good life skill to have.
Soccer love!
No comments:
Post a Comment