Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Prayer Requests

14 Days till Guatemala! (Note: countdown does not include current day. :) )

I just finished reading the book Humanitarian Jesus: Social Justice and the Cross by Christian Buckley and Ryan Dobson, one of my Greenville bookstore sale finds. It was a good, interesting read (timely, too) that takes a look at the idea of the Social Gospel and where it fits in to the Church's mission of furthering His kingdom. If you have an interest in social issues and the gospel, read it. I recommend it. The book is part explanation and part interviews with some of the leading Christian thinkers and voices of our time. I say it was a timely read, because I'm going to Guatemala in 14 days! And while I'm going to Guatemala for studying purposes, I'm also going to be working with Students International, a missions organization that has a base in Guatemala (this is the same organization I worked with in the Dominican Republic back in 2010). So while I hope to get lots of studying done, I'll also will be dealing with some of the social issues that are discussed in the above mentioned book. I read the book with a hi-lighter in hand and marked it up with various points that were applicable to my life right now, and where my life might be in the future. A lot of these points sparked prayer requests that I would love if you would be praying over as I get ready to head south (way south!) and during my time spent there. And for my life post Guatemala. I have a few quotes from the book, and the prayer request that they sparked in my heart. I believe in the power of prayer, and I recognize the importance of having a good support group back home as I spend this time in another part of the world. I am blessed to have so many people who support me in all that I do. The trips I've taken in the past, and the one I'm about to set out on would not be possible without the love and support of everyone back home.

What I took from Humanitarian Jesus and the Prayer Requests I have for Guatemala:

"He healed to reveal true healing. He fed to reveal true food. He quenched thirst to reveal everlasting water." (pg. 26)
My prayer: That my actions would further reveal Christ. That I would not just focus on what I am able to do, or what I am doing, but rather what he is able to do through me; what he is doing through me.

"Because men and women are made in the image of God, every person, regardless of race, religion, color, culture, class, sex or age, has an intrinsic dignity because of which he or she should be respected and served, not exploited." (From the Chicago Declaration, quoted on pg. 35-36)
My prayer: That I would treat everyone I come into contact with with respect. That I would see their intrinsic value and dignity, and help them to see it for themselves. That I would remember that I too, am a sinner in need of grace.

"Feeding a person's stomach is good, but connecting that work in evangelism that includes impacting his life in such that Christ can feed his soul is better. Preventing the causes of physical death is good, but passionately investing in a life to prevent spiritual death at the same time is better." (pg. 61)
My prayer: That I would keep the focus of my actions on His Kingdom. That I would remember He is the one who saves. Soli Deo Gloria.

"You and I are not going to change the world  no matter who we are, but we can serve Christ in His work of changing the world because of who He is." (pg. 69)
My prayer: That I would remember this is not about me. That I would remember who I serve and what He has already done for me. 

"I believe that the Lord places our footsteps in the paths that he has designed for us." (Franklin Graham, quoted on pg. 152)
My prayer: That I would remember I am here for a reason, and that He is in control.

"I think the heartbeat of Jesus is the most powerful thing. Following the Man and seeing how His heart broke. You have to see what broke His heart. You have to follow Him." (Brad Corrigan, quoted on pg. 188).
My prayer: That I would not lose sight of the cross, nor Him who died on it. That my heart would break for what breaks His.

That my words would be His words. That I wouldn't be afraid. That I will grow. That His light will shine forth. That hearts will be changed. That people will find Him. That His Kingdom will be furthered. That I will know that I can't solve all the world's problems, but that I can love. That I will love every person I come into contact with, even if it is difficult. That He will be lifted high in my life.
Soli Deo Gloria.

No comments:

Post a Comment