We left Thursday after our morning classes to play a game against Lindenwood-Belleville, which is just about an hour from Greenville. Put a win on the board from that game, woo woo! After the boys played (and showered!) we piled onto our bus and started the long trek to Texas. Well, I guess we technically started the long trek to Oklahoma, since we spent a few hours in a hotel there. Now as fun as all that time on a bus sounds, let me tell you. It really isn't all that fun. But at least that first leg of the journey wasn't too terrible. Friday morning we got back onto the bus and started the next leg.
She looks so good. ;)
This time...not so fun. Who knew Dallas traffic could be so terrible?! Turns out it can. And was. After a looooooonnnnnnnngggggggg time on the bus we finally got to our hotel in San Antonio, and it was straight to bed! (I don't think anyone was complaining.) We got up Saturday morning for a whole day filled with soccer. Girls played Mary Hardin-Baylor in the early afternoon, and it was so hot. My northern blood doesn't know how to handle heat like that...and I didn't even play in that game. Kudos to the girls who did! Though we didn't play well, we were able to pull off another win after going into double overtime. After our game the guy's team played Trinity. Trinity is a very good side for both guys and girls. Our boys did so good and held them to 1-0. Disappointing to lose, but they stayed competitive through the whole game. After the guys game (I told you it was a whole day affair) we were able to watch the Trinity girls play the Hardin-Simmons girls. Holy cow. That was some good soccer. Not only are these two teams huge rivals, but they are also two of the top teams in the nation. Hardin-Simmons won the national tournament last year, and as we sat there we watched Trinity (who we were about to play on Monday) beat Hardin Simmons 3-2 in double overtime. So stinking good. Even though watching that game made us slightly terrified to play Trinity on Monday, it was an awesome game to watch, and was seriously some good soccer. And that was basically Saturday.Sunday we had the day off from soccer. We started off the day by going to church as a team. It is still awesome to me that I am part of a team where we can openly worship together. Once again I am reminded of why I chose a faith-based institution. We went to the Alamo United Methodist Church, and it was a different service from what I'm used to, but I think it's always good to be able to see how other people worship, and get out of our normal Sunday routines. After church we headed to check out the historic Alamo. I have to admit, I thought it would be a little more exciting. ;)
There it is.
Alright, so not a super impressive building. But the history is still cool. After we took a picture in front of the Alamo we split off and had the rest of the day to walk around and shop at the Riverwalk area. I had so much fun with my girls. I seriously have the best teammates.
Gotta have a picture with all the soccer Rachels. Classic. :)
She's a little feisty sometimes. :)
Best shirt ever: Relax, Gringo. I'm leagal!
After a day of shopping, taking pictures, and otherwise enjoying each other's company we headed to dinner and then back to the hotel. Sunday night was perhaps my favorite part of the trip. We played games as a whole team (guys and girls) and then had a worship session. And here's what was so cool. B and I led the team in some worship songs, and then we had asked Dan Taylor to pray when we got done. But instead of just pray he took a moment and completely laid out the gospel for the team. I go to a faith-based institution, and am part of a "Christian team" but that doesn't mean everyone is on the same spiritual level. And it was SO awesome for him to spell out, in clear and simple terms, exactly what it means to be a Christian. I don't know if anyone's lives were changed that night, but I hope and pray that some seed was planted. And I know we didn't get together that night to have the message of the gospel spoken to us, but God is so good. And he can move in any situation. He can take a simple team meeting time and turn it into something so much more than that. As the Trinity girl's coach would tell us later, there is no greater victory than salvation. In the end it's not about score boards and wins and losses. It's about the love of Jesus Christ, and accepting that gift of love he so graciously offers. So yes, we did get up the next day and play Trinity (remember how I said they were stinking good? I'll leave it at that. ;) ) and yes, we did get on a bus and drive straight through to Illinois. But honestly, that's not what is most important. What is important, is the victory we have in Christ Jesus. There is no victory, no wins after a soccer game that could ever be more important than that. Amen!

No comments:
Post a Comment