Family.
I am so very thankful for my family. They do so much for me, even from hundreds of miles away. And they support me in everything I do or set out do do. As I was sitting through some freezing soccer games this season, I was reminded of the numerous miserable soccer games and cross country meets that my parents came and watched me at. Even now, they try to make it to as many games as possible, though the drive is substantially farther than it was in high school. I am so grateful for that support. I'm thankful for my brothers who make me laugh on a daily basis. And though they're goofy and fight all the time, I know they would fight tooth and nail for me. I, likewise, would do anything for them. I'm thankful for my grandparents who continually open their home for me, drive to pick me up from places, do fun crafts with me, make delicious foods, and shower me with wonderful thrift store gifts. I am lucky to still have all four of my grandparents who have continually shown me love and support. Most importantly, I am thankful for the Christ-like example my whole family has shown me over the years.
Friends.
I have the most wonderful friends. Ever. Period. I've been blessed with a solid group of Christian friends and an awesome group of friends from high school. Though I've gone from Illinois, to Wisconsin, and now back to Illinois, I've been able to make and keep some really great friendships. Some I've been friends with my whole life, and I can't remember a time when they weren't a part of my life. Others were more recent additions. But all of them have had special impact and have been rich blessings in my life. I love all the laughter and crazy times we've had. So I am thankful for all of you, dear friends! Thanks for putting up with me. :)
School.
Though I complain about the price tag, and the amount of homework I have to do, I am grateful for the opportunity I've been given to attend Greenville College (and school in general). Recently I read the book Three Cups of Tea and was again struck by how much of a blessing it is to be able to attend school. There are kids all over the world who have not had that privilege and who may never get the chance to attend school as I have had my whole life. Not only am I thankful for the chance to go to school, I am thankful for the school itself. I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed being able to pray and worship openly with my fellow students and my professors. I think the first time I was told that my homework would come from reading the Bible was one of the coolest things I've experienced. Also having my professors and coaches pray over me has been an awesome and rewarding experience. I am grateful for this body of believers that help me to grow scholastically and individually.
Spanish.
I am thankful for the ability to learn and speak another language. Yes, it is hard. And yes, I frequently complain about it. But I am so excited to see what opportunities being able to speak Spanish will bring me. And I am thankful because I know that not everyone can grasp the workings of other languages. But God has blessed me with that ability and I know that he will help me to use the skills I am learning for his glory.
God.
God has richly blessed me in every aspect of my life. Most of all, I am thankful for him. He who has provided in ways I can't even begin to fathom. Even when I don't follow his plan and try to do things on my own. Even when I stumble and fall. God is there to pick me up. He has a plan for my life, and is working for my good. The Master and Creator of the Universe cares intimately for me. This is amazing to me. I have done nothing to deserve him, and have nothing I can give back to me. But he loves me. And always will. And he (only he) has made it possible for us to live with him forever. I anxiously await that day. There is nothing I am more thankful for, for from him and through him and to him are all things. And he loves me. I am blessed.
There is so much more I could list that I'm thankful for. These are the big things in my life, the things I hold near and dear. Maybe a future post will explore the more minute details of life that I am thankful for. As I prepare to take a post-turkey nap (coma?!), I leave you with a challenge to really take time to give thanks. One day a year is not nearly enough. I fall prey to this as much as the next person. But we have been given much, and should take time to reflect on the things we have been given.
"For everything comes from him and exists by his power and is intended for his glory. All glory to him forever! Amen."
-Romans 11:36 (NLT)
No comments:
Post a Comment