Well, I'm officially, officially an adult now! I turned 21 yesterday which means I can do just about anything! haha! Just about because I still can't drive a bus or rent a car. :) I can definitely say it will be a birthday I won't soon forget. This week (and next) I've been teaching English at a private school in Magdalena, and was warned ahead of time that birthdays are a big deal at the school. And so for the celebrations yesterday I got sung to by several of the classes and received some very cute cards from my even cuter kindergarteners. (The kindergarten class is the one I teach English to. There's four of us girls working up at the school and we each have our own class to be teaching with the help of each other and our site leader, Abbey.) At dinner my host parents had some brownies for us with a candle for me to blow out, and I got some gifts from my two host sisters, as well as a delicious loaf of bread and a cute journal from my two sweet friends, Beth and Alison. Oh! Back up. After working at the school for the day the girls that work at the school with me and our site leader went out for ice cream. And then after dinner our whole team went out for ice cream again! Two ice creams in one day, doesn't get much better than that! :) And then I got to skype with my parents, Kirsten, and Kayla! Great birthday if you ask me! Then today after recess the kids all lined up instead of going in like they normally do and they all sung to me again, but this time as a whole group and not individual classes. After that they gave me a hug one by one. LOTS of birthday hugs! But I love all those kids, so it was a lot of fun. Like I said, definitely not a birthday I will be forgetting any time soon. I had a great time hanging out with the kiddos and teachers at the school, and celebrating with the new friends I've made down here. So blessed to have so many people that love and care about me. Thanks for all the well wishes! :)

Card from one of my sweet kindergarteners!
Getting sung to by 80+ elementary school kids:
"ya queremos pastel, ya queremos pastel, aunque sea un pedacito, ya queremos pastel!"
(that's verse two. Then they clap and count until they reach your age)
LOTS of birthday hugs!
And that was my 21st birthday!
Happy birthday, Rachel. What a wonderful day ! From Roselyn in Gills Rock. Roxie in your friends list.
ReplyDelete