So yesterday I had a really cool and unique experience that I want to share with you a little bit! I'm taking a Latin American Literature course for my Spanish course this semester, and as of late we've been reading some of Mario Vargas Llosa's work. Mario Vargas Llosa is a pretty famous writer in Latin America and in Spain. He's been involved in the political scene in Peru (ran for president in 1990 and lost to Fujimori) and has recently re-become involved in Peru's political scene. Vargas Llosa also won the Nobel Prize for literature last year. And yesterday, he was in St. Louis! SLU (St. Louis University) awarded him their literary award, and my classmates and I got to go! It was pretty cool to get to see him, get his autograph and listen to this guy whose works we've been reading speak about some of his experiences! Not many people can say they've had that opportunity. So here's a few pictures from this unique experience!
Here he is signing someone else's book!
And here he is signing mine! SO cool!
Being interviewed!
So anyways. That was my cool experience yesterday! Not many people can say they've heard speak/ pseudo met a Nobel Prize winner! It was pretty exciting, to be sure!
“I learned to read at the age of five, in Brother Justiniano’s class at the De la Salle Academy in Cochabamba, Bolivia. It is the most important thing that has ever happened to me. Almost seventy years later I remember clearly how the magic of translating the words in books into images enriched my life, breaking the barriers of time and space...”
― Mario Vargas Llosa
No comments:
Post a Comment